Saturday, March 24, 2012

Living I BELIEVE

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable to You, O God, our Rock and our Redeemer.  Amen.

Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks.  They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” (John 12:20-21)

It seems so easy, but when the strangers came to Philip and asked to see Jesus, what were they really asking?  In the Gospel of John seeing is never easy.  John is all about light and darkness, seeing and being blind.  Many people who were right there in Jesus’ presence could not “see” him.  The Greeks who came to Philip were asking for much more than the chance to lay eyes on Jesus.  They were asking what Jesus was all about.

For John, the world was mostly in darkness and only a select few were in the light.  Even those who were closest to Jesus had trouble seeing.



Why is it so hard to see Jesus?



“Now my soul is troubled, And what should I say – ‘Father, save me from this hour’?  No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour.  Father, glorify your name.”  (John 12:27-28a)

It is so easy to stay in the darkness.  If we stay in the darkness, we don’t have to look too carefully at ourselves.  Seeing Christ means much more than saying “I believe.”  It means living I BELIEVE.

But what does it mean to live I BELIEVE?  That is something that each person has to work out for themselves.  There are many right answers.  If you would take out your insert, I am going to play a song by Take 6.  I believe this song is a good spot to start.

[play Gold Mine by Take 6]

I believe.  Every once in a while the clouds part and I hope I walk in the light and SEE Jesus.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment